Last Sunday (September 10th), Kris and I attended our first of two full-day prenatal classes. Originally, we were supposed to go on Saturday, but we had a wedding to attend so we switched to the two Sunday classes.
Class is held at the Civic hospital since this is where we decided to have the baby. The class started at 9:30 a.m. which was torture as we had been up late the night before at the wedding and we had been up early every single day. Nonetheless, we made it there on time (we even had a few minutes to spare).
Our class was in the Bickell Room with about 10 other couples. I believe that all the other couples were having their first babies (although, if you've already had a baby, do you really need to go to this class?). Most of the couples appeared to be about our age, although, there was a very young couple, early twenties and they were beside the other couple that we figure is in their late 40's to early 50's. They are expecting twins. Most of the couples are also due around the same time as us - there is even a couple that has the exact same due date. She looks way smaller than me - I am jealous.
The class is taught by a nurse who works there in the maternity ward at the hospital. She also has two kids. The class itself is from 9:30 to 4:30. We watched parts of some videos, read through our binders, did some breathing exercises (not much though) and she ended the session with a slide show of what the maternity ward in the hospital looks like. We broke for lunch at 12:30 and started up again at 1:20. That class was finally over at 4:00 and to be perfectly honest, I don't think I really learned much of anything. Kris and I were disappointed. Since I am complaining already - is it really wise to have a bunch of very pregnant ladies sitting in the most uncomfortable seats for 7 hours? It was terrible!
We have another class tomorrow all day. I think I might get a little more out of this one because this one teaches us about what to do to care for baby after it's born. Considering I pretty much know absolutely nothing about this topic, I figure I am bound to learn something tomorrow making the class worth while! Let's hope anyway.
Saturday, September 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment