Friday, April 07, 2006

166 Heart Beats Per Minute...

We had our first visit with our obstetrician today. It started out rough as we had a 2:30 appointment and had to wait until 3:45 to be seen! First, the nurse did all the paperwork with a weigh in and blood pressure. Then, she brought out the Doppler radar device to listen to the baby’s heart. I really thought she’d have some headphones or something….but no; it was for all to hear.

After a quick lube of the tummy and the obligatory “this will be cold” she started searching for the baby. After about a minute she found it. It was beating at 166 beats per minute and was loud! It made a very specific sound (like the sound KITT from Knight Rider made when you saw that red light on the front of the car….but much faster). It really drove home the message “You’re pregnant”. Up to now, Jenny was convinced it was just a theory or an elaborate prank I had pulled. (I’m not that good).

Jenny made sure to ask “There’s just one….right?” Apparently there is only one. Jenny has been worried about that.

The heart rate will slow as the weeks go on….because I was getting tired just listening to it! The baby moves around quite a bit right now as it’s small and there’s lots of room. We didn’t know that.

So, we asked all sorts of questions (the soft drink question again) and was bombarded by pamphlets and our free sample pack of baby wash, some breast pad contraption and…our first diaper. We go back in a month.

Oh, and in the hurry to get to the appointment, I left the car lights on and had to get a boost. I’ll rack that up to controlled nervousness.

No comments: